FIATA, in French “Fédération Internationale des Associations de Transitaires et Assimilés”, in English “International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations”, in German “Internationale Föderation der Spediteurorganisationen”, was founded in Vienna/Austria on May 31, 1926.
FIATA, a non-governmental organisation, represents today an industry covering approximately 40,000 forwarding and logistics firms, also known as the “Architects of Transport”, employing around 8 – 10 million people in 150 countries.
FIATA has consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (inter alia ECE, ESCAP, ESCWA), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), and the UN Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL).
It is recognised as representing the freight forwarding industry by many other governmental organisations, governmental authorities, private international organisations in the field of transport such as the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the International Union of Railways (UIC), the International Road Transport Union (IRU), the World Customs Organization (WCO), the World Trade Organization (WTO), etc.
Information taken for the FIATA website
Visit the FIATA Official Website
FIATA’s main objectives are to
- unite the freight forwarding industry worldwide
- to represent, promote and protect the interests of the industry by participating as advisors or experts in meetings of international bodies dealing with transportation
- to familiarise trade and industry and the public at large with the services rendered by freight forwarders through the dissemination of information, distribution of publications, etc.
- to improve the quality of services rendered by freight forwarders by developing and promoting uniform forwarding documents, standard trading conditions, etc.
- to assist with vocational training for freight forwarders, liability insurance problems, tools for electronic commerce including electronic data interchange (EDI) and barcode.
Register your Interest in FIATA2016
The World Congress of the International Federation of Feight Forwarders Assocation 2016, Dublin, Ireland.